We at Safeguard Storage of Wisconsin understand how overwhelming moving to a different home or office can be. So, those of us at Safeguard Storage have put our heads together and compiled a list of storage tips based on our own experience and that of our customers. We hope you find them useful!
- Leave your heavy objects toward the bottom.
- Label your boxes on both the top and sides.
Wrap items separately prior to storing in boxes. Bubble wrap, covers, linens or paper are recommended.
Various Storage Supplies are conveniently available in our staffed office.
- Never store live animals, combustibles, (paint, chemicals, toxic materials) or perishable items (such as food).
- Remember to drain fuel from gasoline engines before storing.
- Drain your washing machine and defrost your fridge/freezer.
- Leave appliance and equipment doors slightly ajar (to prevent mold and mildew).
For clothing, use wardrobe boxes that allow you to hang them and preserve the shape of garments. Leave smaller garments in drawers.
Storage Supplies (including wardrobe boxes) are conveniently available in our office.
- If possible, put smaller appliances in their original boxes.
- Fill in empty spaces with paper to prevent boxes from folding.
- Don’t lean stored property against the walls of your unit.
- Whenever possible, store all boxes on wooden pallets or boards.
- Don’t stack boxes so high that getting to them becomes dangerous or overly time consuming.
- Leave an aisle down the middle of your unit so that boxes and other items can be easily seen and identified.
- Make a complete list of all goods stored. Keep sales receipts, proofs of purchase and warranties to prove ownership.
- Take furniture apart to optimize space. Any bolts, screws or parts should be put in a plastic bag and taped to the underside of table tops.
- Chairs should be stacked seat to seat with paper or cloth between them.
For precious heirlooms, Climate Controlled Storage is always most recommended for best storage (low humidity and controlled temperatures). For reduced budgets, use specially constructed boxes and utilize dehumidifiers to prevent mildew build-up.
Storage Supplies (including specialty boxes) are conveniently available in our office.
- Use protective covers to keep your items dust-free. Storage Supplies (inclduing most sizes of covers) are available for purchase at Safeguard Storage's staffed office. Especially recommended for glassware and dishes.
- Always use high-quality locks on your unit. Some of the very best locks (and other Storage Supplies) are sold in our office, or even available in our 24 hour vending machine!
You have sole responsibility for the goods you place in your storage unit. Check with your insurance carrier for coverage, or Contact Us to ask a storage consultant for a list of low-cost providers.
Remember: if it’s worth storing, it’s worth insuring.
- Read your agreement for termination and payment regulations.
- Be informed of facility rules and regulations.
- Make note of your payment due. Check that prorated rental periods are covered.
- Take advantage of our Storage Supplies – boxes, covers, locks and packing & storage products.
- Many of our facilities offer moving trucks. Contact Safeguard Storage for further details.